Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Green Eggs and . . .


Does anyone find this lunch plate as weirdly wonderful as I do? I had lunch with good friend Biene a couple of weeks ago and she ordered something called green eggs. It was a new items on Fuego's menu. This promised to be a scrumptious concoction of eggs, spinach, and feta cheese blended together then scrambled. Topped with grilled red bell peppers and accompanied by the usual rice and beans, this should have been the perfect meal. So enjoying my latest read, The Road Through the Mountain, I dove in.

Well, it wasn't exactly Blech!! but I was unexpectedly disappointed. I like eggs. I like spinach. I LOVE feta cheese. What had gone wrong? A few bites later, it hit me why it tasted so salty. Feta cheese is salty. Mix all these goodies together and then ADD salt and you have a recipe for disappointment. I left some of the eggs behind and the waitress asked if everything was ok as she took the plate away. I really could not let it go so I told her it was too salty. I thought preparing the dish in the future, the cook should forego the use of any additional salt. She was fine with my comment and I set about paying for lunch.


Much to my surprise, the manager came over, presented me with a 35% discounted price for the lunch and said she agreed that it was too salty and the feta cheese would provide enough in the future. Cool. So I voided one check and wrote another. Off I went back to work anticipating my next trip to Fuego's. They really have good food in a casual cantina setting. I probably won't order the green eggs again but it sure did make a pretty picture didn't it?

15 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I really think it pays to say something when things just aren't right at a restaurant, this case proves it. The dish sounded somewhat interesting.
I hope you are having some better days.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

hmm green eggs - something is not right about that to me - there is a book by Dr Seuss called green eggs and ham - I must read it again!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lisa; it always pays to let a restaurant know when something isn't right, whether they follow through with a discount or not.

Susie said...

Glad that restaurant was responsive to your constructive comments.
The combination actually sounds really good!
:)

Anonymous said...

I think the green eggs sound yummy! I love spinach, eggs and feta cheese but I don't like a lot of salt. At least you had your comment taken seriously.

Anonymous said...

Those green eggs sound interesting. I think I'll make some, minus the salt of course. I've never been one for very salty foods to begin with.
...I would not eat them here or there I would not eat them anywhere, I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am!
That was a great book!

Anonymous said...

Not your average lunch pic, that's for sure. :)
I like the open book behind the plate and the grilled red pepper topping the green eggs. Looks a bit like broccoli or some kind of snazzy vegan dish.

vicci said...

I don't know about green eggs Annie...I like all the ingrediants...but I think I want my eggs to be white and yellow! The place sounds good...

Mary Bee said...

What I find cute about this is that here you are in this restaurant taking pictures of the food. That is so fun. And a fine job you did. And good for you to voice your opinion. Chefs do need to know these things. People can add more salt if they want brine, but you couldn't dilute it.

paris parfait said...

It does look delicious, so good for you for speaking up about the salt - and getting the bonus of a discount! It's wonderful to find a restaurant like that.

Anonymous said...

Your lunch looks absolutely scrumptious! I'm not one to add salt to anything unless I am baking and it's necessary. And then it's 1/3 less sodium salt. Good for you speaking up about your dissatisfaction. Thanks for sharing (and making me hungry) :) .

Beth said...

Green eggs and ham, Sam I am,,thats what it reminds me of,lol. I do love all the ingredients and I would probably have to try it. Hope you have a nice week-end Annieelf!!!

trailbee said...

I remember that lunch, Anne, it was fun. I used to read that story to my kids, and had to try it. Not everybody cooks the same in there-the small salad is different each time I have it.It's time to do it again.

Mary Bee said...

I'm gonna cry Annie, you don't have me on your side bar. Boo hoo! pout pout pout

Kris said...

Good to see your effort in getting back to your regular self ;) And I so appreciate the tip on NOT order green eggs! Much love!