Saturday, December 16, 2006

Unexpected Blessings


I've talked about it a lot here that my job is stressful and demanding. Nothing has changed about that and the approaching two weeks off will be a thankful break. However, earlier this week I DID get quite a surprise. But first a bit of background:

Back in 1991 (yes, 91!!!) the State of California went into the first of its many job freeze periods. This resulted in layoffs, no new hiring, and increased workloads for those of us lucky enough to still have a job. It also include a freeze on salary increases. Along the way, things loosened up and a few years later I had finally reached the top of my pay grade. Then I had my job reclassed which help up the salary a bit more. But now, six years past the only raises I've seen have been the very occasional COLAs (cost of living assessments). Two years ago there was another round of layoffs and moving around of staff that directly or indirectly effected many of the campus staff. I was lucky in that I dodged that bullet as well.
I make no secret of the fact that I'm planning to retire in three years. The day I hit 62 I plan to complete that academic year, work through the summer and wave good-bye to 40 hours a week. But early this week a "little" surprise came my way. The current department chair, Deborah, who just started this year, came out with a two page document - a cover letter and a form attached to it. She asked if I would review the letter and form as it was yet another new bit of work for her to review and did I have any thoughts on how best to proceed? It was a form asking for an approval of a salary increase. I looked at it with a fair amount of lack of curiosity thought I did ask who it was for thinking it was for Ken who was a relative new hire in the tech area. When Deborah said it was for me I felt like I had been hit by a taser.
Honest to Blessed God, I was completely floored and said something like, "For ME??? I haven't seen one of these in six years."
To which she immediately replied, "Well, we better sign this right away."
Well, talk about Christmas surprises. I'm still pinching myself about it and I don't even know how much the increase is for. I told Biene about it a few days later and B, God love her, started crying and gave me a big kiss on my cheek. I think she was happier for me than I was.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

Congratulations. It's well deserved. It's always gratifying to have management that appreciates their staff.

Julie said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, Annie! A well-deserved reward for all you do at your job :D

Jungle Jane said...

Annie,
Congrats on the raise! What a nice Christmas surprise! I'm happy for you.
Jane

Daisy Lupin said...

Well done you, on getting a salary increase, that's an early Christmas present for you.

Stitchy said...

Congratulations! It's about time!
You look beautiful in this picture! You look shiny!
Becky

trailbee said...

You're the best, Annie! My four under-grad years were a joy because you were there. I hope it's a fortune! See you Tuesday-I pick up my Final.

trailbee said...

Hey, did you cut your hair?

Beth said...

What wonderful news for you, Annie! And that is a great Christmas present,isn't it? I am So happy for you!!

Susie said...

Lovely picture and congratulations on a raise! What a lovely surprise!
:)

Annie Jeffries said...

Just the usual trim, B. And it's not fluffed so looking for sleek at the moment. LOL

paris parfait said...

Annie, wonderful news! Congrats! That should make it a bit easier going to work every day. :)

Janet said...

First of all, love the photo! You look so happy! And with good reason it seems. Congratulations on the upcoming raise! That is an extra special Christmas present!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Annie, congratulations...you deserve it....it's nice to know hard work is finally rewarded. I can feel your joy. and btw - what a perfectly LOVELY pic of you my dear!!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

What a great feeling, and just in time for Christmas! Congratulations!!!

Becca said...

Good for you! A wonderful gift for the end of the year/start of a new year!

Kara said...

I was happy to see your shining face and then even happier to read about your wonderful news!

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Sweet deserving blessings!!