Friday, July 27, 2007

Poetry Thursday - Fr. Jan's Friendship Poem


Tonight we visited long-time friends, Rick and Kate. Quanah and their son Charlie have known each other since 3rd grade. They were in school together through 6th grade; did local musical theatre together in high school; they both majored in music in college though at two different schools.

Charlie married a young woman named Lindsay, a couple of years ago. She was in the same music program as Quanah. Q went on to graduate school in theology; Charlie teaches elementary and middle school music.

Rick and Kate were with us in Oregon when Quanah and Erin married last month. Tonight we all got together for a BBQ at their homes overlooking the Tuolumne River. Their family has grown over the years to include FOUR grand-daughters. Our family has now expanded to welcome a young bride, a new daughter for us.

I was thinking a lot about friendship tonight and the long road that can sometimes be traveled and the joys and sorrows, worries and trials that are encountered along the way. In the midst of these thoughts, I started writing a poem but was coming up short on a final quality picture to include on this montage.

In the course of my Google image search for something representative of friendship, I ran across a remarkable story and the poem that was written honoring a lifelong friendship. I may still write a poem about friendship but Fr. Jan's Friendship Poem deserved a place of honor this Thursday. Please click here for more about the friendship of Dorothy Corson and Fr. Jan.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our old friends are so precious. I tend to get nostalgic thinking of my close friends. When one meets them, time has no meaning.

Your post made one good read.

Anonymous said...

"Sweet is the journey" is the truth. But is the opposite applicable as well? Something like "sour is the journey" on Indifference's Road.

Tammy Brierly said...

Thank you for sharing this Annie. Enjoy the art festival in August :) I'm hoping to make it too! XXOO

turquoise cro said...

Sweet is friendship! I'm glad we are friends! Happy Week-end Sweet Annie! ((((Annie))))

Mary Timme said...

Yes! to this post as it was so loving and wholesome it bolster my spirit!

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Friends are a gift. Sometimes I look at the friends I've had for MANY years and think how far we've come....others I wonder how we ever got this far. Sometimes the connection with new friends can be as profound - as if it's always been there. I love the line in that poem.. "binding chosen soul to soul"....that's what true friendship is to me.
What a lovely photo of you and Don.
XOXO

Clare said...

I like this a lot. And the poem reminded me of something my Grandma would say -- it had that really sweet and old fashioned feeling to it that goes right to the heart. Thank you for sharing it!

paris parfait said...

Lovely post, Annie. Good friends are priceless. xo

Kim said...

Wonderful post, Annie. Love the line "Binding chosen soul to soul" ~ beautiful.

Miss Robyn said...

love you Annie xoxo
so much to say here and I don't even know where to begin but Friendship, true friendship is a treasure in life to be cherished.

Pear tree cottage! said...

Annie, Frienship is that very special part of our lives that can have us laughing together one moment and crying together the next, but always holding in our hearts sentiments of esteem respecet and affection for each other.

"friends" make the world.

Annie I loved very much this post of yours you, your blog is always filled with personal kindness to all.

Happy week to you my dear.
Lee-ann

Anonymous said...

Yes, good friends are priceless. They really do enrich our lives.

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

You are a treasure to me! and many!

Kahshe Cottager said...

A beautiful poem and reminder about how precious true friends are to us. I am sorry I seem to be so long in getting to visit everyone ~ I guess I am on summer time! *-)

Tumblewords: said...

A nice story, full of warmth. The shared poem and painting is a perfect match.

Molly said...

Good friends, so valuable.