Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Lighter Side

After a very gloomy week with thoughts firmly focused on prayers for the suffering families and lost souls of Newtown, it was definitely time to refocus and uplift my spirits.

 Saturday night a few friends joined us for holiday spirits and Don's birthday.  Normal sized Krista and Micro-Mini Marie discovered that
they could both fit into this living room chair.









Don struggled with . . .  wait for it . . . Tissue Paper.    LOL












I baked a cake

Vanilla bean and orange flavored frosting.

My much loved silver aluminum tree greeted our guests.

And friend, Cheryl, couldn't wait to tuck into the goodies.













Today continued the escape from the gloom as I met up with Alicia at Hamilton's Cafe.  Here's Alicia with old timer, Homer.  

We left the cafe when she got off and we headed over to Don Juan Foods to price ingredients for tamales for a fundraiser planned for late January.  Don Juan Foods is a colorful Mexican food store with some surprising elements and some not so surprising.



One end of the store was filled with yarns, and threads, and embroidery threads.  My ubiquitous red purse (which seems to always turn up in pictures these days) couldn't hold a candle to all the bright, luminous colors.



Festive donkeys and Christmas trees in ollas.


Pinatas


and more pinatas.

Parties and pinatas.  This was definitely enough to help shake off the gloom.

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, Annie, this is just so wonderful -- I am glad you are getting in your happy! It's good to check back in -- being away and then a bad re-entry isn't how I like to spend my December and I feel like Slacker Elf, but working at it! There is so much joy here, it just makes me smile. Big!

Darla said...

Wonderfully upbeat post, much appreciated. I would like to get lost in that Mexican store.

Darla

Naturegirl said...

Annie: It is difficult to get into our "happy" with so much sadness surrounding many. We focus on our blessings and enjoy every minute so good for you for getting into the B.day spirit!
A light heart is easier to cope with.
love and light to you!
hugs Anna xo

LV said...

What a great post. I enjoyed visiting and seeing all you family activity.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. I would love to be let loose in that Mexican store!

Felisol said...

Belated happy birthday greetings to Don.
What a wonderful Christmas home to celebrate in.
I can see you had a happy day.

Dawn Elliott said...

I, too, was full of gloom and deep sadness about the tragedy in Newtown for most of this week...and in need of some cheering up. It looks like you found the perfect ingredients! Not that we aren't all still grieving, but we need to remember that there are wonderful things in this life to be cherished and celebrated.
I want to go to Din Juan's!!! It's my kind of place...thanks for sharing your joy!

Barbara said...

Had a catch up with all posts. I imagine you are well now and that nasty cough has gone.