Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tax Day Rally

Tax Day Rallies happened all over the country this past weekend and yesterday.  This is the view of the lawn at the West Steps of the Capital Building in Sacramento.   People were still arriving at this point and the crowd was much larger by the end of the rally.


This is the fourth Tax Day Rally I've participated in.  It's always a great event with terrific speakers and special guests.  The legislature was in session and three of our elected representatives actually took time out to welcome us.  It was a really nice surprise.


This old gentleman really blew me away.  He is a WWII veteran and was a medic on Iwo Jima.  I visited with him for a few minutes and told him about my dad who was on the USS Nevada at Pearl Harbor.  It was a moving few moments for both of us.

A spring storm moved in and the winds were fairly high.  The three hours passed with cloud cover and jacket wearing alternating with open skies and sunshine (off came the jacket).  I was actually a bit pink when I woke up this morning.  But the storm finally arrived and I have to say, the scene over the Capital Building was pretty impressive.  All it needed was a lightning strike.


The day ended with a send off from our good friend, Mark Meckler.  It was a fun day and I know Mark would laugh at me for putting him at the center of radiant light.  But he really has been a guiding light for many of us who support the ideas of small government, fiscal responsibility, and free markets.  It isn't right or left.  It isn't Republican or Democrat.  It's all about ideals and faithfulness to the Constitution, a document that can't steer us wrong.  If we treat it right, it benefits all of us.

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my gosh, the scene over the capitol building is amazing, it looks like a professional photo for a book cover or something.

Darla said...

Great photo of the Capital Building.

Darla