Friday, August 09, 2013

Mission Post #13

We are simply waiting now.  The application is in.  The clearances are completed. The personal recommendations are received.  Now we are simply waiting for final approval to volunteer with the Glenmary Sister at their mission post in Caruthersville, MO.

Lately, I've started to make lists of what I need for basic packing and living on the road for a few months.  I ran across a blog a while back that, in part, talks about this as well as economizing on sleeping and eating on the road.  I also discovered a couple of creative journaling books by Vivian Swift.  One that has been especially helpful is Le Road Trip.  As you might suspect, this has a French twist to it but traveling is traveling and it doesn't take much tweaking to use her ideas as a fun and useful guide to getting myself organized.  Most of it is common sense but having it laid out here, and in such a fun way, helps me focus, not to mention the reduced brain power I need to use to get it right and not think, down the line, "How could I have not thought of that?".

Post-mission we are now fine tuning our adventures.  Civil War sites and Catholic shrines are high on our list.  Shiloh National Battlefield in Tennessee is just three hours from where we will be in Missouri.  Later, after leaving Indianapolis, we will be heading east visiting Gettysburg in Pennsylvania and Antietam in Maryland.  In between is The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.  There are so many historic sites so close together that the mind boggles.  I'm already thinking forward to 2015 and another mission and trip.

The other nice news is that three of my blogging/Facebook friends have volunteered to host us as we travel through their area.  Texas, Maryland, and Michigan friends - "Thank you so much".   Sue, Dave, and Jeanie - so looking forward to meeting you face to face.

Bye for now.  More soon.

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you got "Le Road Trip" -- I hope you love it as much as I did -- and I think you do! Isn't Vivian's work fun? Always makes me smile!

And I'm looking forward to meeting you face-to-face, too!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What will you be doing there? Is it at a monastery? You are both going?

Joyful said...

Not sure what you will be doing but it sounds like you will be combining a much desired missions trip and a sightseeing trip too. Have lots of fun planning and travelling :-)

Spadoman said...

Let me know if you make it to Missouri. That's not far from me and I would drive down and visit, ( donate, too)

Peace

Darla said...

Part of the fun of a trip is making plans. It looks like yours are well underway. I will have to look for the book - not planning a trip at the moment but you never know.

Darla