Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Longest Day



It has been a long, long day. Mom's funeral was this morning and I was so happy to see so many people come to remember her. It was a modest turnout of about 50 people but considering mom's isolation due to her stroke these past several years, it was a gratifying turnout and reunited us with some friends we had lost track of who, though much younger than mom, were nevertheless quite close to her.

I actually dressed up. I didn't quite recognize myself. I even wore heels. One inchers, for sure but since I'm flats girl, that one inch was impressive. Ten hours later, my feet are still feeling it.

I'll be getting back to my blog soon. I have quite a lot to write about. I am so grateful for all of your notes and messages; your expressions of sympathy and condolences. If I ever needed proof of the power of good thoughts and well-wishes, this was certainly the proof. Your warm thoughts, words and prayers have truly been strengthening.

14 comments:

Mary Bee said...

Annie: This is a fantastic picture. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of those better days we were speaking of. It will be nice. I'm amazed you posted here today. You are a strong woman.

Anonymous said...

I like the photo you chose to go with this post. It's peaceful, but conveys the idea of moving on. My thoughts and prayers have definitely been with you and your family, wishing you peace and love.

Annie Jeffries said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susie said...

Hi Annie,
I know that this was a tough day for you. Your chosen photo is lovely. My Mom has been gone for 4½ years and I still miss her. She is forever in my heart and your Mom will be too...

trailbee said...

You belong to a miraculous family, Anne. I am impessed, and so happy for you.

Janet said...

So glad to hear from you and to know that you're doing ok. Just don't rush yourself. We'll all be here when you feel up to posting again.

Anonymous said...

That must have been tough but good to hear that old friends were there and things went well.
much love from Bridget and Jeremy xxx

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

You have been on my mind this entire week and I only wish we could have all been there to give you a hug, hold your hand. But I know you could feel it. I am glad to see your post and wish for you at this time of grief and healing....a very smooth road.
XOXO

Pear tree cottage! said...

Annie, I am so pleased you took a moment to drop by your blog and to tell us "all is well" as best it can be.

I am sure your mother watched as I believe she did with pride to see her family and friends celebrate a beautiful ladies life, her life.

thinking of you every day my friend.
Lee-ann

Anonymous said...

Do not weep for me.
Don't hang your head in sorrow...
For I am with you,
I am in your heart.
I live in your memories...
When you feel sad
I will hold your hand.
When you see the morning sun shining...
It is my smile.
When you hear the birds chiming...
It is the sound of my joy,
Because I am home.

A few words to comfort you,
Sombra

Rosa said...

Take your time Annie. We will be here. xoxo

Dot said...

Hi Annie

I found your blog through Sombra's. Very sad to hear your dear mum has passed away.

You are very brave to post here after going to her funeral. I am sure she was looking down on you with pride.

We are surrounding you with love and support.

Much love and wishes for healing.

Dotee xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wishing you moments of peaceful reflection as you make this transition. Looking forward to having you back when you have regained your strength.

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I have been away...nevertheless I have many times passed by the Java house to take coffee with you.

I cannot imagine your sorrow...my friendship i extend.