Monday, January 22, 2007

Happenings!!! Part Three

The Old is New

I couldn't finish off this fun afternoon without talking a bit about Placerville and the big place it has in my heart. Placerville is an old mining town in the California Gold Country. Over the past 25 years, Don and I, with the kids have gone up countless times always attached to a visit with Barbara and Jeff. Our kids have tramped through the woods exploring knot holes and tree nooks; built treehouses, played pirates, caught fireflies, camped, and explored mines. We've made the annual trek up to Apple Hill enjoying cider, fritters, and mile high pies.

I used to think that moving there would be just about perfect. But time and rising real estate costs, not to mention increasing numbers of people moving up from the valley, has made that idea all but impossible. So now as we approach retirement, we look farther north to other possibilities. Don wants the mountains. I want the ocean. Sounds like coastal Oregon to me but that will be saved for another story.

In the meantime, I enjoy showing off Placerville to Biene and Lisa - the antique shops, yarn store, old bookshops, art galleries, and all the places where coffee can be had. Biene explored the yarnshop in great detail; Lisa found a vintage pink apron that she could not live without. And me? For the first time in memory, I went home empty-handed but heart full of memories as my old favorite became new again as I watched my friends enjoying it all.

Placerville Tour












12 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Yes, that dummy can be a bit disconcerting. Placerville was originally named Hangtown, thus, the dummy.

Julie said...

It sounds like all of you had a delightful time. The best times are those that general many good memories.

paris parfait said...

Great photos - sounds like a fun time was had by all!

Susie said...

Placerville is a fun place. We used to stop at a little cafe there (Blue Bell) or something like that for lunch on the way to Tahoe.
:)

Sue Seibert said...

We will be in California in the fall...I would love to see Placerville!! Raf knows of it. Sounds like our favorite little Texas town, Wimberley.

diana said...

cute town.... it reminds me of a town we love to go to in the hillcountry, Fredericksburg Texas...

J C said...

Placerville sounds like a really kewl place. I love old towns. And small towns. Towns with history. Thanks for sharing. Lucky you to have met up with our fellow bloggers. What a fun time I know you all had. I'm envious!

Tammy Brierly said...

It sounds like you guys had a ball! I'm looking forward to moving near Placerville ;) Hope to see you there!

Daisy Lupin said...

Oh what a fantastic time you all seem to have had in Placerville, what joy for you all to meet, I do envy you all.

One Crabapple said...

oh Annie ! you brought back such happy memories that I had filed away (maybe for good !) in the old cotton head bank !

I have done this - Apple Hill Trek !
So fun , driving thru the hills and stopping at farms and roadside stands....mmmm YES !

I remember that year bringing home seven frozen apple pies on the plane ! in a bag under my seat !

Boy flying today sure has changed !

But anyway ! oh you make me want to go again.
Love this post.
Loved sharing your experience here.

Thank you !

Anonymous said...

That looks like a very cozy bookstore!

zuzu said...

=^..^=

This really brings home memories!
I was born near Placerville ... and saw it often. We used to travel through the mountains of winding roads, stopping here and there at friends.

Apples and Old Roses! Sweet crunchy gravenstiens and the old rose tour is what I still dream about. More winding about and gatherings ... Rough & Ready ... Grass Valley ... Nevada City ... Tiny towns now not so tiny.

But the red dirt I could do without! Every white sheet in the house was an odd shade of pink from it!

Do you know of the little farm with the miniature horses? I can't for the life of me remember the name at the moment. But ask anyone there, and I bet they can point the way. You drive by it as you wind through up the mountain. If you aren't paying attention ... you think the hill of a yard is siimply filled with dogs standing on the lawns.

::SIGH:: almost spring time and that's the yearly rose tour! One of the stops is the miniature horses! They have amazing roses to see and share!

=^..^= xo zU